Use household materials for a fantastic and easy science
- A shallow dish - One that is clear is best, to see what's happening under the surface of the liquid, but a shallow bowl, aluminum pie tin, or plastic or paper bowl will work just fine.
- Milk - The higher the fat content the better. Half-and-half or whole milk works best.
- Food coloring - Four different colors will be more colorful.
- Liquid dish soap ( I think Dawn works best for this experiment)
- A tooth pick or cotton swab
- Pour a layer of milk in the dish about (1 cm) deep. Room temperature milk works much better than cold milk.
- Carefully put one small drop of each of the four food colors onto the surface of the milk, widely separated, and not in the center of the dish.
- Get ready to watch what happens! Very carefully drop one drop of dish soap onto the surface of the milk in the center of the dish. You can use a toothpick or cotton swab.